B.ED stands for Bachelor of Education. It is an undergraduate professional degree for the students who want to make a career in teaching. The degree is formerly known as Bachelor of Teaching (BT). The duration of the course is two years. After successfully completing the course, the students become eligible to teach in intermediate and high schools. In India, it is a major prerequisite for any graduate to teach at the high school level.
Eligibility for B.ED
You have to clear the B.ED entrance exam to study the B.ED course. The students who have completed their undergraduate degree are eligible for the B.ED exams. For example, the students who possess Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com), Bachelor of Science (B. Sc) or Bachelor of Arts (B.A) degree are eligible for B.ED entrance exams conducted by different universities and colleges in India. The students also required to have a minimum of 50 % marks in graduation.
It is a skill-based course that focuses on providing all the necessary teaching skills to the students so that they can understand different aspects of classroom teaching. The Arts students are trained to teach history, civics, geography, etc. The science graduates are trained to teach biology, physics and chemistry. The commerce graduates are trained to teach accounting, economics, etc. The course is mainly designed to impart the teaching skills and make the students familiar with different aspects of classroom teaching.
After completing the B.ED, the students become eligible for M.ED (Master of Education). The National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) is the statutory body which monitors the educations courses offered by different teacher training institutes in India.
Popular B.ED Entrance Exams in India
- IGNOU B.ED Entrance Exam
- Guru Nanak Dev University B.ED Entrance Exam
- Maharashtra B.ED Common Entrance Test
- Lucknow University B.ED Entrance Exam
- Telangana State Education Common Entrance Test
- Uttar Pradesh B.ED Joint Entrance Exam
- Punjab University B.ED Application Form
- Jammu Kashmir B.ED Entrance Exam
- Himachal Pradesh University B.ED Entrance Test
- Gujarat University B.ED Entrance Test
Popular B.ED Colleges in India
- Lady Irwin College, Delhi
- Bombay Teacher’s Training College, Mumbai
- Kasturi Ram College of Higher Education, Delhi
- Andhra University, Visakhapatanam
- Government College of Education, Chandigarh
- D.M. College of Teacher Education, Imphal
- St. Xavier’s College of Education, Patna
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi
- SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai
- Himachal Pradesh University, Department of Education, Shimla
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi
Courses and Jobs after B.Ed:
- TGT (Trained Graduate Teacher): After completing the graduation, you already become a TGT. So, the candidates with B.Ed degree are not required to do TGT. A TGT can teach upto 10th class.
- PGT (Post Graduate Teacher): The student who is a post graduate and as well as completed the B.Ed is a PGT. He or she can teach up to 12th class.
- TET (Teacher Eligibility Test): It is an exam which is the minimum eligibility criteria to become a government teacher.
M.Ed or MA Education: One can pursue higher education in education after completing the B.Ed such as M.Ed, MA Education, etc.