BCA: Bachelor of Computer Applications
BCA is a 3 year undergraduate program in Computer applications. It is a degree course offered by many universities and institutes in India. It is considered equivalent to B.Tech/B.E in Computer Science. This course provides a sound academic base to students to help them pursue advanced career in computer application and information technology. It is an ideal course for the students who want to make career in computer science and related fields.
The course aims to fulfill the following objectives:
- To provide a sound knowledge in key areas of computer science.
- To provide professional competence in developing software.
- To develop practical skills to solve the computer application’s problems.
Core subjects of BCA
This is a 3 year program and divided in 6 semesters. Following is the list of core subjects of BCA.
1st Year : Semester – 1
- Business Communication
- Principles of Management
- Programming Principles and Algorithms
- Computer Fundamental and Office Automation
- Business Accounting
- Computer Laboratory and Practical Work (OA+PPA)
1st Year : Semester – 2
- Organizational Behavior
- Elements of Statistics
- C Programming
- File Structure and Database Concepts
- Cost Accounting
- Computer Laboratory and Practical Work (C.P + DBMS)
2nd Year: Semester – 3
- Numerical Methods
- Data Structure using C
- Software Engineering
- Management Accounting
- Computer Laboratory and Practical Work (D.S + RDBMS)
2nd Year: Semester – 4
- Visual Basic
- Inventory Management (SAD)
- Human Resource Management
- Object Oriented Programming using C++
- Computer Laboratory and Practical Work ( VB + C++ )
3rd Year: Semester – 5
- .NET Frameworks
- Internet Programming and Cyber Law
- Principals of Marketing
- Core Java
- Project work ( VB )
- Computer Laboratory and Practical Work (.NET + Core Java )
3rd Year: Semester – 6
- Multimedia Systems
- Introduction to SysPro And Operating Systems
- Advance Java
- Project Work ( Banking & Finance , Cost Analysis , Financial Analysis ,Payroll , EDP ,ERP etc.)
- Computer Laboratory and Practical Work (Multimedia + Advanced Java)
Note: This is not a universally fixed syllabus of BCA. These subjects may be changed university to university.
Minimum criteria to get admission in BCA
You must have completed at least 10+2 from a recognized board. Or a 2 or 3 year diploma after 10th.
Along with this, Some universities conduct entrance test to get admission in this course.
After the completion of BCA, It is preferred to pursue an MCA degree for better career prospects. After that you can work as a Software developer, Network administrator, database administrator, Web developer Trainer or Teacher etc.
The rapid growth of IT industry has increased the demand of computer professionals in India and abroad. Some of the popular work profiles or designations offered to computer graduates are given below:
System engineer: The job is to develop, test and evaluate circuits, softwares etc.
Programmer: The job is to write codes for the given software.
Web developer: The job is to develop World Wide Web applications and to develop and maintain websites.
Software developer: The job is to develop software and to install, test and maintain the same.
System Administrator: The job is to set up and maintain the system or server.