BHMS stands for Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery. It is an undergraduate medical degree in Homeopathy; an alternative approach to medicine. The duration of the course is around five year. The course is followed by an internship which starts after the students complete the final examination.
Homeopathy emerged in the year 1796 and its founder is Samuel Hahnemann. It is based on the principle that the substances responsible for the symptoms of a disease in healthy people can be used to treat similar symptoms in ailing people.
Eligibility for BHMS
A student who has passed 12th class with physics, chemistry and Biology as the main subjects is eligible to enroll in BHMS. The admission is based on the merit. There are also various joint entrance exams for M.B.B.S, B.D.S and B.H.M.S courses. The subjects included in this course are Homeopathic Pharmacy, Homeopathic Material Medica, Homeopathic Philosophy, Bio-Chemistry, Homoeopathic Repertory, Practice of Medicine, etc.
Specialization in BHMS
After successfully completing the course, one can pursue specialization in Homeopathy. There are various options for specialization in Homeopathy like Pediatrics, Infertility, Psychiatry, Skin Specialist, etc.
Some Popular BHMS Colleges
- Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College, New Delhi
- Smt. Chandaben Mohanbhai Patel Homoeopathic Medical College, Mumbai
- Bakson Homeopathy Medical College and Hospital, Greater Noida
- Calcutta Homeopathic Medical College, Calcutta
- Shri Sairam Homeopathic Medical College and Research Centre, Chennai
- Venkateswara Homoeopathy Medical College and Hospital, Chennai
- Father Muller Homeopathic Medical College, Karnataka
Some Popular BHMS Entrance Exams
- NIH BHMS Entrance Exam
- UP BHMS – Common Entrance Test
- PU CET (BHMS) Entrance Test
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET)