FAX is the short form of Facsimile. It is generally written and spoken as FAX. It is a scanned copy of text and images printed on a paper, sent from one party to another through a telephone line. The device used to send documents electronically over a telephone network is called fax machine.
How it works
FAX machine is a combination of scanner and printer exclusively. Scanner first scans the page and converts into fixed graphic image and then bitmap and transfers it through telephone line. If a person has to send a document through fax copy, he inserts a paper into the Fax machine, the machine stores the copy of the document and converts into fixed graphic image and transfer it through a telephone line at the receiver end.
The fax technology was invented by Alexander Bain in 1842. He was the first person who became able to transmit image/text through signals from telephone line. . Later, Frederick Bakewell improved the Bain’s invention and created the first image telegraph similar to today’s fax machine.
The fax technology was become outdated in 21th century when the newer technology named “email” comes into existence.
Why email is preferred over FAX
- The quality of data sent over internet is better than Fax.
- Sending data over internet is cheaper than sending it over Fax.
- No need of additional hardware for sending data over internet unlike Fax.
- There is no need to be present a person while sending data. It is automatically saved in email id and he is able to use it whenever he needs.
- It can transfer data faster and easily than FAX machine which saves your time and effort.
- Fax machine may experience paper jam which can damage the original document.
- You can send the data to multiple people in click by using the CC or BCC email fields.
- You can provide additional information by attaching images, videos, files etc.